Are You Aware Of Kava and Kratom? Let’s Explore
There are multiple herbs and supplements on the market today that have health benefits – kava and kratom. These two are the two most popular herbal mood enhancers available on the market today.
Kava and kratom are both plant-based drinks famous in the Pacific islands. Did you know that these drinks can be beneficial to your health?
Kava can help with anxiety, relieve migraines and headaches, and boost your immune system. In contrast, kratom helps to reduce pain, improve focus and endurance, and enhance mood. Find out what the key differences between these drinks are in this article!
The popularity of Kava and Kratom has made them a target for unscrupulous companies that want to make a few bucks off the people who don’t understand what they’re buying. Let’s explore kava kratom, its health benefits, and side effects as you know what you should look for in these herbs!
What Is Kava?
Kava is a drink prepared with the root of Piper methysticum, which is present in the South Pacific. The root of the kava plant has worked as an intoxicant since ancient times by the Polynesians, and people use it in essential ceremonies such as weddings or funerals.
It’s most commonly consumed as a pill or brewed into tea. However, it can also be prepared as a kind of wine.
Often described as drinking Ayahuasca (an Amazonian hallucinogen) but without any side effects, some say kava can improve overall life.
Although the active chemical components are still under scientific debate, some researchers believe that the psychoactive effects of kava (including ataxia) can start with compounds known as kavalactones.
What Is Kratom?
Kratom is another name for Mitragyna Speciosa, a tropical tree leaf that grows in Thailand and Indonesia. The leaves are used to make tea or crushed into a powder and consumed as an opiate substitute or stimulant.
Kratom contains mitragynine and 7-hydroxy mitragynine. The main active ingredient in kratom is mitragynine. It causes vasoconstriction of the muscles in the body, leading to increased blood flow.
It works as a mild stimulant, with pain-relieving effects, to relieve opiate withdrawal symptoms, relieve diarrhea symptoms, and suppress appetite. It can also act as a stimulant; however, it does not produce the same kind of paranoia that opioids do.
Kratom has been used for thousands of years by people in Southeast Asia. Still, it is becoming popular for recreational and medical purposes worldwide because government agencies do not control it, such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Health Benefits Of Kava
Kava is a plant grown in the South Pacific. It is a member of the pepper family. The kava plant’s roots are ground, boiled up, and then drunk as tea. People from all over the world are drinking this tea worldwide for its many health benefits, in particular:
- Kava is an effective anxiety reliever for chronic stress, anxiety, and insomnia. In this respect, it is superior to Valium and Xanax (other popular drugs used to treat mild to moderate pressure).
- Its root has potent relaxing properties and can help calm anxiety and stress. In this way, you can use it as an anxiolytic (anxiety reliever), useful in several anxiety-related disorders such as social anxiety or generalized anxiety disorder.
- It helps relieve muscle tension and spasms caused by arthritis, gout, fibromyalgia, and several other ailments.
- The compounds found in kava have asntibacterial and antiviral properties, which help reduce infection by regulating the immune system.
- It stimulates the production of serotonin, GABA, and dopamine in the brain, and because of this property helps alleviate anxiety, depression, stress, and vertigo.
Health Benefits Of Kratom
Kratom is the most beneficial herb on earth. If you are looking for alternative natural solutions to solve your health problems, it can help you achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Here are different types of kratom you may like and also the best five benefits of kratom that you should know:
- Nutritious kratom contains more nutrients than any other known plant. The kratom leaves have an array of essential minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and amino acids that are good for our health in the body.
- It helps with opiate withdrawal symptoms, including fatigue, mood swings, sleeplessness, depressed feelings, and anxiety. It also helps people quit using opiates by reducing cravings and increasing energy levels.
- It reduces hypertension (high blood pressure) through dilating blood vessels and increasing circulation throughout the body.
- It also lowers blood sugar levels, improves nerve function, and has anticonvulsant properties that block convulsions such as seizures that occur due to epilepsy. Due to these properties, it can effectively treat symptoms of mental disorders such as anxiety.
- It contains alkaloids that bind to opiate receptors in the brain where opiates typically bind, thus blocking dopamine release, which causes dependency.
Potential Side Effects Of Kava And Kratom
Kava and kratom plant with effects on the nervous system similar to alcohol. They are botanically related but chemically different. People take kava as a relaxant in traditional Polynesian culture.
The side effects of kava include feeling giddy and talkative, restlessness, and increased social interaction (talkativeness). It is toxic in large doses and has caused seizures, bloodshot eyes, tremors, and paralysis. Make sure your doctor checks you out if you take kava products.
On the other hand, kratom is not a botanical like kava and may have a relatively more minor risk of side effects as it gets extracted from woody trees instead of leaves.
Side-effects of kratom include a higher risk of seizures, nausea, constipation, dizziness, dry mouth, confusion, and drowsiness.
So, kava and kratom do have side effects, but the most common ones are mild; however, some can potentially be very serious such as liver toxicity, sudden death, or heart attack. For those in a state of moderate-to-severe anxiety, this may not be enough reason to avoid these plants altogether.
Kava and kratom are natural, herbal supplements with some pretty powerful benefits. They can help treat anxiety, insomnia, depression, and pain. They are a safe alternative to alcohol, prescription and over-the-counter medications, and even marijuana.
The effects of consuming this drug begin to wear off after an hour, but it can often work as a safe and natural replacement for alcohol consumption. Its products are usually more akin to a mild sedative than an intoxicating one, making it popular among people who don’t want the adverse side effects of alcohol.
However, these substances can potentially affect our liver when used too long. They may cause liver damage – even death – if consumed in excess. They also come with a few side effects like drowsiness, nausea, and vomiting.
Remember that the effects of Kratom and Kava may be different from person to person. Always keep in mind that the side effects may vary. If you have any misconceptions, consult your doctor before taking either supplement.
Having completed my Bachelor’s degree in medicine and currently pursuing a house job at a well-reputed hospital in California, I decided to utilize my spare time in sharing knowledge with others through my blog. Apart from my time spent in the medical field, I love to read fiction novels and go on long drives.