Do you want to shed some inches?
Considering a vegan diet is one of the best options.
Vegan diets are purely plant-based, which is the main reason they are low in calories, and it also includes no eggs, dairy products, or meat. Animal-based foods are rich in calories and fats, so avoiding them aids some individuals lose weight.
A study conducted in 2016 found that plant-based or vegan diets are more efficacious for weight loss as compared to omnivorous diets. In addition, people who adopt vegan diets also experience many health improvements, like decreasing the risk of cancer and lowering cholesterol.
In this article, we’ll explain the link between weight loss and veganism.
Let’s dive in!
Are plant-based diets healthful?
Vegan diets eradicate many foods that are rich in cholesterol, fats, saturated fats and calories. In addition, many pre-packaged or processed foods have animal products; thus, vegan diets help individuals consume whole and fresh foods instead.
Some of the health benefits that you can get from vegan and vegetarian diets are:
- Decreasing the rates of cancer
- Mitigating the risk of a mini-stroke or ischemic attack
- Reduced inflammation
- Lower cholesterol
- Lower blood glucose
- Lower the risk of diabetes
- Decreased the risk of cataracts
However, plant-based or vegan diets may also give you some health issues or challenges.
People who are following a vegan diet may also get a deficiency of iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, and protein if they don’t eat foods with important nutrients.
Animal-based products contain essential vitamins and minerals, so an individual following a plant-based diet will need to consume other foods in which vitamins and minerals should be present. Some of the best options are:
- Vegetables and Fruits: Fruits and vegetables are lower in calories compared to animal-based foods. So, you should eat fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables to keep your body fit and healthy.
- BamNut Milk: It is plant-based milk that is rich in protein and contains fewer calories. Made out of Bambara groundnut, the texture of this milk is creamier, and you can consume it if you want to lose weight.
- Tofu: Tofu is a great option and is low in calories when compared to dairy products. It is a vegan product so you can eat it without any worries.
- Nuts and Seeds: Nuts and seeds are full of proteins and calories. They contain fewer calories and are very helpful during your weight loss journey.
- Legumes: Legumes are high in proteins and vitamins and are also an excellent source of iron, calcium, fiber, potassium, slowly digested carbs, antioxidants, zinc, and other nutritious compounds. They also contain fewer calories, so you can consume them to lose weight.
Some of the tips for weight loss if you are on a vegan diet are:
As with any diet, eating fewer calories than you burn via exercise and daily activities is the key to successfully losing weight when following a vegan diet.
Some of the guidelines for healthy eating are:
Eat Your Meals Timely
Starving all day and not eating anything is not good for weight loss. However, eating your meals on time is important for increasing your metabolism and also aids in quick weight loss.
It is recommended to eat a heavy breakfast so that you feel full all day long, and it will also make you feel less hungry.
Watch Your Meal Portions
If you want to lose weight, you must watch the portions of your meals. Meeting according to the portions will help you consume less calorie food and keep your body fit and healthy.
Eat food that has protein
As you all know, protein is one of the most nutrients required by our body. Therefore, you must eat vegan foods that are full of protein. Protein helps make your body sturdy, and you will feel energized all day long.
Consume healthy drinks or beverages
Plant-based milk is very useful in losing weight. You can make smoothies and shakes that have protein in them. Some of the vegan milk are:
- Almond Milk
- BamNut Milk
- Soy Milk
- Cashew milk, etc
If you want to lose weight, try eating a healthy and balanced vegan diet. There are various ways to eat well on a plant-based diet. It is crucial that you avoid junk food since these foods are often low in essential nutrients and high in fats and sugar. Moreover, vegan foods are low in calories and have little fat, no cholesterol, and plenty of fiber. Start eating more vegan foods to help you on your weight loss journey while benefiting your body overall.
It is advisable to talk with your dietitian before starting your weight loss journey. Your dietitian will also inform you about some indispensable nutrients, like protein and B vitamins.
Medical Disclaimer: All the content available on the website is just for informational purposes. It’s not a substitute for any Professional advice. Don’t take it personally. As a medical student, I’m just trying to use my information through my content, and please keep in mind it’s not written by a professional doctor. Use the data just for educational purposes.
I have a Bachelor’s degree in medicine and am presently working at a renowned hospital in California. I used my leisure time to share my expertise with others through my blog. In addition to my work in healthcare, I like reading fiction and enjoy writing posts a lot. I want to use my writing to help the health sector on my blog site. You’ll get exclusive informational content about health & Fitness.